A children’s dentist is a dental care professional who is specially qualified to work with children, including those with special needs. Completing up to two additional years of training after dental school, these dentists are capable of providing the best care to all children between zero and eighteen years of age.
Special needs children may be particularly anxious about their coming dental appointment and struggle with sitting still or interacting with dental care experts. They may also have particular needs for sensory, mental, or physical restrictions which we are skilled and experienced in accommodating.
By bringing your child with special needs to our office, you can rest assured that we will give them the best possible care. You may even find that they enjoy their visit with us and look forward to returning! To schedule an appointment, call our office in Kissimmee, FL today!
Why Choose a Children’s Dentist for Children with Special Needs?
Each day, millions of parents across the country choose offices just like ours to care for their children with special needs. But why is it important for your child to see a children’s dentist rather than any other dental professional? Is it necessary, or just a precautionary measure?
The answer is both. As a children’s dental office that specializes in working with kids of all ages, needs, and ability levels, we want to share with you why you and your child may benefit from the services provided by our office; an office that specializes in working with children who have special needs.
Children with special needs may have physical disabilities, language limitations, mental disabilities, or a combination of all three – in addition, they each have their own unique personalities, likes, and dislikes! No matter who your child is and what services they require, it is essential to find a children’s dentist who not only has the training and expertise that comes from working specifically with these patients, but one that also has a heart and passion for working with kids in this capacity.
You will find that here at Kissimmee Children’s Dentistry, where we focus on providing your child with both the care they require and an enjoyable experience.
Your Role as the Parent
It can be difficult to get a child with special needs to the dentist, but there are a few things parents can do to make sure kids feel comfortable not only in the waiting room but also during treatment.
- The first thing to do is to try and tell the child prior to going that this visit will help them stay healthy and feel good about their teeth. If the child does not understand the dentist is there to help, they may be apprehensive about going.
- Parents should bring some toys or games to keep the child entertained while waiting for their appointment. If possible, the toy of choice should be something familiar and calming, such as a favorite stuffed animal.
- Parents should also talk about the tools used during treatment and ask any questions they have as far as how this equipment works. This helps the children prepare for what is to come next.
- Parents who are worried about how their child will behave during treatment can always preemptively discuss options with their dentist. We are equipped to give children with special needs nitrous oxide, should the child be extremely anxious about treatment.
- When a special needs child goes to the dentist for routine examinations and cleanings, it is a good idea to accompany your child to the treatment room. Having a parent there can help the child feel more at ease and comfortable.
- By taking a child with special needs on a tour of their office, introducing them to the staff, and speaking with them about what will happen during treatment, a dentist can provide a much more positive experience for the child.
It’s also important to remember that much of having a good experience at the dentist is about maintaining proper oral habits. Parents should encourage brushing and flossing regularly, as well as good nutrition, so their children have healthy teeth throughout their lives.
Allowing Your Child to Lead the Way
When you choose Kissimmee Children’s Dentistry, you’re choosing a practice that puts your child first. At our office, you will never feel rushed or experience a lack of patience or understanding from our team members; we promise to respect your child and honor their comfort level, never pushing them into a situation that escalates their fear or anxiety. This allows your child to feel in control and confident that we are available to help them and never lose their trust.
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment for your child with special needs, call our office today!